Thursday, November 20, 2008

Sweet Potato Casserole

One tall, 40 oz can of yams or sweet potatoes, drained
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup softened or melted butter

Combine all ingredients, mix & put in greased 9x13 pan or glass baking dish. Cover with topping mixture and bake @350 for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.

Topping:
1 cup coconut
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup chopped nuts
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup flour

Combine in medium bowl with pastry blender or a couple of forks

What I do: Sometimes I can't find a 40 oz can of sweet potatoes, so I use 2 of the large cans ( once I actually do my shopping for Thanksgiving I will update with the actual size of the can)

Source: This is definitely my favorite thing for Thanksgiving (not counting dessert, but this is almost dessert anyway). I even eat the leftovers cold the next day. Again, the recipe my mom always uses that I think she got from her old friend, Shirley.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Do you think I could somehow incorporate some marshmallows into this recpie? i am in charge of sweet potato casserole and usually i use a recipe with marshmallows, but i want to try yours! give me your feedback chef claire:) could i put a cup or so on top?

Claire said...

I wouldn't recommend marshmallows on this recipe...the brown sugar, butter & coconut make it pretty sweet already.