Thursday, October 15, 2009

Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti

I thought I posted about this last year, but I guess I didn't b/c I can't find the post! Spaghetti squash is in season this time of year and that means its cheap! And its easy too. And healthier than regular noodles. And if you've never tried it, you should. The hardest part is cutting the squash in half, so be careful and use a good, sharp knife!

Cut your spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds and stringy stuff. Place face-down on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes. (I overbaked this time and the squash was more like mush than spaghetti noodles, so watch it) It will be soft and pull apart like spaghetti noodles when its done.

Take it out of the oven and let it cool a little bit, then scrape out the insides with a fork. It should look like spaghetti noodles... Place in a bowl and season with a little s/p.

Serve with your favorite spaghetti sauce - homemade or out of a jar, whatever you like!

I get mine out of a jar, but I brown about a pound of ground beef along with some chopped green peppers, then drain off the fat and stir in the sauce.

2 comments:

Ty and Em said...

YUMMMOOO! I love spaghetti squash! You'd think this recipe would be a no-brainer, but I have never though to use spaghetti squash as the noodles! DEFINITELY going to try this one tomorrow night. Thanks, Claire!

Erin said...

I love spaghetti squash too and have made lasagna out of it as well. One way I have cooked it is to poke some holes in it and microwave it, I know it sounds weird, but you don't have to cut it that way until it is done and it takes like 10 minutes or so. Haven't had it in awhile, gonna have to get some.