Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sweet Success

People seem to think that since I majored in culinary arts in college and enjoy cooking and still regularly cook, that we always have wonderful fabulous dinners. We don't. That's why I don't have a post every day! Unfortunately not all of the meals I plan, shop for and prepare are wonderful. Some turn out fine, but just aren't that great. Others sound good and should be good, but I mess up and have disasters once in a while too!

I used to make homemade pizza a lot, but hadn't made it in a while, so I thought I'd try it again with a new recipe. I also thought I would try and use my neglected pizza stone. So I made the dough and preheated my pizza stone. I even made the sauce grated the cheese myself. I stretched out my dough on a board with cornmeal underneath so it wouldn't stick and was ready to slide it into the super hot oven onto the pizza stone. Well it stuck. So all the dough, sauce and cheese mushed into a pile half on the pizza stone and quite a bit on the bottom of my 500 degree oven. Not success!

As the smoke detectors went off all over the house and my children covered their ears in fear, I fanned out the smoke and tried again. Luckily the dough was enough for 2 pizzas and luckily the 2nd one did not stick (but tasted a little smoky). My husband came home later and didn't even recognize the pizza had been made from scratch. He thought it was the kind from the grocery store wrapped in the plastic... But that's alright, I will try it again another week!

2 comments:

Ty and Em said...

hahaha. This sounds like my house, about twice a week. Hehe. I'm a true disaster in the kitchen. So, what are you thinking about posting on my blog every so often? You could do it once a week, every other week, or once a month. It's up to you. Let me know and we can get started!

Erin said...

Ahh! I've had that with the pizza stone, so my solution is/was to first stretch my dough onto aluminum foil and it works every time! The crust still cooks up yummy and you can put it right onto the hot pizza stone. Also I don't have to use a pan this way when it comes off!I've also heard of using parchment.